Having graduated from eight years of post-secondary education, and accumulating over 40 years of experience, and worked for the City of Calgary and many large corporations (Petro-Canada, Suncore, Cenovus, Husky, Nova, Trans Canada Pipelines), I have successfully managed many large, medium and small projects and am ready and willing to tackle yours.
What is Project Management?
Project Management (PM) is the practice of initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria at the specified time. The primary challenge of project management is to achieve all of the project goals within the given constraints. This information is usually described in project documentation, created at the beginning of the development process. The primary constraints are scope, time, quality and budget. The secondary—and more ambitious—challenge is to optimize the allocation of necessary inputs and apply them to meet pre-defined objectives.
My Background Includes:
- Project Management in multiple frameworks: Harvard Business School Project Management Process (HBS-PMP), Project Management Institute (PMI), Zachman, Gartner, TOGAF, ITIL, ISO, IBM’s RUP and EUP, Agile, Waterfall, Suncor Project Implementation Model (SPIM) and many other custom models.
- Project Management with computer aided tools: Rational Rose, MS Project, MS Project Server, UML-2, Visio, StarUML, Poseidon, ArgoUML, MS Word with templates, PowerPoint, SharePoint.
- Project artifact creation and presentations to stakeholders, management, PMO and gate reviews.
- Project Management Triangle (Scope-Time-Resources and variations thereof) analysis.
- Business Analysis (BA) with users and stakeholders to: Assist in strategic planning, Model policies, market analysis, processes and workflows, Systems analysis and determining design specifications.
- Risk management and mitigation of risk.
- Developing RFP’s, RFI’s, RFQ’s and RFT’s for business units for public distribution followed by submission reviews for compatibility with current and future corporate infrastructure and standards.
- Return on Investment (ROI) and Return on Time (ROT) analysis.
- Designing and building enterprise solutions.
- Designing and implementing software and hardware solutions.
- Interviewing, hiring and managing new employees and contractors.
- Mentoring in team environments.
- Training clients in-house and on-site.
A Project Management Process Solution For You:
As a contractor for many small and medium companies, I have come across many that do not have a Project Management Office (PMO) or project management process. In those cases I suggest the following model that I have derived from studying the Harvard School of Business project management processes. This model, with sub-models and templates are easy to follow and implement with existing or easily available and inexpensive tools like Word, PowerPoint, Excel and email. This is a tried-and-true method, by a prestigious university, used around the world, that I have had great success with implementing either in whole or in part: